Gotovac, Tomislav. Reading the Newspaper, 1980. Performance
The first performance from the Homage to Josip Broz Tito is “Reading the Newspaper” by Tomislav Gotovac, staged in the New Gallery in Mihanovićeva street 28 in Zagreb at 6 p.m. on February 12, 1980. The performances were photographed by Milisav Mio Vesović and Ognjen Beban.
This was a reprise of the work Gotovac performed in Amsterdam in 1979, and the beginning of the Homage to Josip Broz Tito cycle. According to journalist Ana Lendvaj, Gotovac wanted to show how ˝the newspapers have the structure of a drama and that reading literally every printed letter in a newspaper is a dramatic performance in which every reader is free to invent” (Lendvaj, “Reading the Newspaper,” 1980). Gotovac used subversive action in his performance, because at this point the audience did not know how to criticize the media space in Yugoslavia.
Zagreb Avenija Dubrovnik 17, Croatia 10000
Pokaż na mapie
inv. br. MSU 2871 (1/4)
- Museum of Contemporary Art Zagreb
Wyróżniony obiekty z
Autorzy tej strony
- Bencetić, Lidija
1) Conversation with Zora Cazi-Gotovac and Darko Šimičić, January 9, 2018, Tomislav Gotovac Institute, Krajiška 29, Zagreb
2) Domljan, Žarko (ed). 1995. "Tomislav Gotovac." In Enciklopedija hrvatske umjetnosti, 307. Zagreb: Leksikografski zavod Miroslav Krleža
3) Gotovac, Tomislav. 2006. Antonio Gotovac Lauer: Čelična mreža = Steel net. Zagreb: Moderna galerija - Studio "Josip Račić"
4) Ilić, Aleksandar Battista, Nenadić Diana (ed). 2003. Tomislav Gotovac, monografija, Zagreb: Hrvatski filmski savez - Muzej suvremene umjetnosti
5) Lendvaj, Ana. "Čitanje novina." Večernji list (Zagreb), February 12, 1980, 22.
6) Marjanić, Suzana. "Živa slika, skulptura: ležanje kao živa mrtvost ili mrtva živost - oksimoron slike i skulpture." Kazalište 17, no. 59/60 (2014), 40-55.
Milovac, Tihomir , interview by Bencetić, Lidija , March 09, 2017. COURAGE Registry Oral History Collection