Hungarian Province of the Society of Jesus
The Society of Jesus settled in Hungary in 1561, and despite the hardships the order developed dynamically in all three parts of the divided country. The golden age of the order ended in 1773, when under political pressure from the European great powers, Pope Clement XIV disbanded the order. The Society of Jesus was restored in Hungary in 1853. In 1866, they settled in Budapest. In 1909, the independent province of the Hungarian Jesuits was founded. In 1950, the communist regime suppressed the activities of the Jesuits and many members of the order were imprisoned and interned, while many others emigrated. In Hungary the order was granted permission to function again in 1989.
Budapest Horánszky utca 22, Hungary 1085
Pokaż na mapie
- inna organizacja non-profit
Autorzy tej strony
- Pál, Zoltán